Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Chez Shapiros

Typically, Summer Sundays = beach days in this family.... we are so blessed to live near the beach and we try to take one day per week to remind us of that. We pack up a picnic and the kids have a blast. Even little Lolly who is just 15 mos.... and then nap time rolls around nothing can lull her to sleep like the sound of waves.

There really is nothing like a great picnic... and everything tastes better when eaten outdoors. Does anyone have any great picnic tips?

Today we have a pool party for our eldest son who is 3 years old. The idea of a pool party makes me nervous. You hear all the stats and my family became part of a stat when my two-year-old cousin drowned 18 years ago. I try to explain my neurotic behaviour to friends but I don't think you can understand how the death of a child in a family affects all its members. Especially when it was preventable. So, does anyone have any advice for pool safety? I want my kids to love the water and to enjoy swimming etc, which they do. I get swimming lessons for my son, who was in the pool at just 10 weeks old. And I think I strike a good balance, trying to act laid back.... I like to think I pull it off but I may be kidding myself! But please remember that pool parties are the number one site of child drownings -- everyone thinks that someone else is watching their child. YOU watch your child.

Even with my neuroses, I fell pray to taking my eyes off my son for just a minute the other day while enjoying our local water park with a friend and her three kids. Previously, I never braved the water park solo -- only my two eyes for my two kids -- but I don't want to hold them back just because I am a nervous nelly.... Well, one minute I knew exactly where Asher was and the next minute I couldn't see him. Turns out he was just on the other side of the slide structure. But for those few seconds I spent running around the pool my heart was beating in my ears and tears were already welling in my eyes with all the what-if scenarios racing through my brain. So, should I now only go to the water park when I have another adult with me? Or should I brave it again but re-drill the lesson to my son that he should stay only where he can see me and I, him? Advice anyone?

Well, must run to get the kids in their pool attire.... Lola will be in Kate Mack who make the most divine swimwear for girls. Asher will be in good ol' Target! ANd I'm sure I'll figure it out for myself somehow!

Happy Sundays, one and all.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment